illustration by eva hjeltel at peppercookies.com

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Kickin' It Old School




Peanut butter was a staple of my diet as a child.  Peanut butter and cheese sandwiches were the lunch for me and my brother (I know, weird combo but we loved them!) Nowadays, peanut butter is frowned upon because it’s the number one pesticided item and people think it’ll make you fat.  What they don’t know is if you get organic you’re in the clear and if it’s got more nutrients and GOOD fat in it then those hundred calorie packs that always seem to leave you hungry for more and laced with preservatives.

So when snack time calls, rely on this old favorite supercharged with a superfood: Goji Berries.  Just like Maca in Silver’s Power Balls, Goji berries are an adaptogen. It can adapt to grow in places with harsh winters or no winters at all (I wish I could do that). It’s low glycemic, packed with protein, high in antioxidants, got more iron than spinach, more beta carotene than carrots and the list goes on and on...

It took me 30 seconds to make this, truly making healthy easy!  This ‘recipe’ is great because it combines a plant (celery) with protein (peanut butter) and a superfood (goji berries).
Guaranteed kids will love this.

Red Ants on a Log

Grab:
Organic Celery
Organic Peanut Butter (Organic is key here! And if you're thinking of grabbing JIF brand, you're better off drinking a bottle of Windex.)
Goji Berries (believe it or not, I bought mine on Amazon.com)

Grab a stalk of celery – wash and cut the ends
Spread with Organic Peanut Butter (or any nut butter of your liking)
Sprinkle with as many goji berries as possible

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Love the twist to the old-school staple snack.
    Man, what would I do without my organic nut butters?! Haha - I noticed this morning that I currently have 3 "active" PB jars in my pantry. I love trying new kinds :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ants on a log. one of my favs (but i use raisins) love your blog jess!

    -Rachel Basgil

    ReplyDelete