illustration by eva hjeltel at peppercookies.com

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Green Looks Good On You.


This recipe is near and dear to my heart (and stomach!).  Adapted from Alicia Silverstone's book, The Kind Diet, it was one of the first that I tried making when I was starting to make changes in my diet to be healthier.  I had never cooked collard greens before and when I picked them up the first time at the grocery store I was a bit scared as they were as thick as leather. Much to my surprise, I loved them.

This recipe is a great easy way to sneak greens into your diet the yummy way.

Collard Greens with Pine Nuts and Raisins
Serves 2 or 3


Need:
1 bunch collard greens
2 tablespoons pine nuts
3 garlic cloves peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons raisins
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar 


Do:
Wash the collard greens leaving some water left on the leaves.  Cut the central spine and stem out of each collard green. (The spine and stems are full of minerals so we want to use them, but take a little bit longer to cook then the leaves, hence the separation)  Separate them.  Chop up the leaves and the spine and stem and keep them separate. 


Toast pine nuts, shaking the pan often, over medium heat in a dry skillet for about 5 min or until golden. Transfer to a plate and set aside.


Place oil and garlic in the skillet and saute until garlic is fragrant.  Add the spine and stems of the collards first. Cover and cook for 1 minute.  Add the leaves, cover and cook for another minute. Add raisins and pine nuts, stir, cover and cook for 2 more minutes.  Stir in balsamic vinegar and cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer.  Enjoy!

Image via Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment