illustration by eva hjeltel at peppercookies.com

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Great Grain.


One of the topics this week in school is about carbohydrates, the effects of high-carb vs. no-carb diets and carb pros and cons.  I’ve been experimenting with some recipes and new grains and found the characteristics of millet particularly interesting.

Millet is quite old, dating back thousands of years and is an extremely nutritious and hardy crop that grows well under harsh or dry conditions. This sparked my interest since food has energy, which is transferred to the human or animal upon consumption and digestion.  Therefore, I thought this would be a perfect grain to try out since I’ve been lithing quite a lot putting my body under more then normal strenuous activity.  Millet is also gluten-free and is soothing especially for indigestion or morning sickness. It’s also great to eat in rainy weather.  With the monsoons we’ve been having, this is perfect timing.

I made this recipe prior to teaching a class at 8:15pm. I’ll often get home after a late class and be hungry for another meal but this kept me satiated and full of energy until 9am the next morning, something that rarely happens for me since I get hungry every two hours these days. That is another great characteristic of whole grains.  They are absorbed slowly by the body providing sustainable and high-quality energy. 

Curried Millet

You’ll need:
1 cup millet (rinsed) – you can find this in the bulk aisle
½ cup crushed cashews
3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups water

Do:
Boil the water in a pot
Place remaining ingredients in the pot, bring to boil 
Cover and reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed
Fluff with a fork and enjoy warm

Image via pinterest



No comments:

Post a Comment