illustration by eva hjeltel at peppercookies.com

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Numbers Game.

Do you find those little stickers on fruit annoying? I do.  They often get stuck to my kitchen sink, trash can, counter top, etc.  But, I recently learned that those little buggers can tell you a lot, besides the occasional marketing message (I recently saw the new animated movie RIO being advertised on an avocado).  The trick is to look at the numbers.
If the numbers begin with:
9 - the item you are about to buy or consume is organic! enjoy!
3, 4, or 5 - it's conventional (think pesticides and then put it back)
8 - it's genetically modified (size shouldn't matter!)

So remember the next time you're grocery shopping, keep an eye out for those stickers and reach for the 9's.  Now, orange you glad I told you?

Thank you to Ali Shapiro for sharing this wonderful information with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment